Diversity of something is the reality that it includes several vastly diverse elements. In a classroom this would mean a classroom of students with a variety of ability levels. Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction is one instrument I will be implementing in my classroom. I am presently doing a form of this program by providing students with leveled reading, word working, and writing activities at their level. I am limited on staff to help in my classroom but our teachers and principal are investigating the Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction program. We are scheduled to visit classrooms (in the next couple of weeks) who are using similar instruction. Our goal is to begin implementing it in all eight of our first grade classrooms at our primary center. Getting this program in our curriculum will assist in meeting the RtI initiative. Funding and planning are the beginning. This is probably the hardest part but hopefully the Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction will be in full force at North Side Primary Center in the near future.
Diversity of one thing is the unique attributes which make it stand out and differ from another thing. With teaching, diversity includes the unique attributes of each individual in the classroom, as well as how these attributes affect said individual's learning. Diversity in the classroom also encompasses the needs and background of each individual, as well as the combined, and sometimes competing, needs of all students in the classroom.
When I consider the diverse students in my classes, I first have to possess an awareness of what makes them stand out, what needs they have. I cannot meet my students' diverse needs until I know what they are. To this end, diversity affects my instruction in that I try to get to know my students and then consider how their personality, age, gender, race, religion, socioeconomic status, hobbies, preferences, and learning needs affect their interactions in my classroom.
Once I understand their diverse needs, and this of course is an ongoing task, I seek to address and meet them. This may mean that I differentiate instrution, that I offer extra time for certain students, or that I work individually with students on certain assignments. It also means that I take their background and resources into account when I create assignments. For instance, when I assign an essay, I always try to provide plenty of time in the computer lab given the awareness that many of my students do not have access to computers at home. Another example of designing assignments is that I try to offer choices of writing assignments to allow my students to choose the assignment that is most appealing to them.
Addressing diversity happens everyday in the classroom, in both the little and big ways I interact with my students. However, without an awareness and a respect for diversity, I would get nowhere with my students.
According to Webster's Dictionary, diversity means difference and vary. Diversity in the classroom means many different things. It means diversity in the kinds of learners, diversity in the racial/ethnic backgrounds of the students, and diversity in the way I teach. Because every student learns a different way, I must diversify the way I teach. I will use different teaching methods to reach the different kinds of learners in my room. I will diversify the reading material and subject topics I cover in class and in reading instruction. It is important for me as a future teacher to fully understand how important diversity is to my students and my classroom.
Diversity simply means difference. There are many diversities in the school environment. Diversity in our students can be found in gender, learning styles, academic ability and socioeconomic, family, academic, and cultural backgrounds. Diversity is also apparent in our teaching staff. Our goal is to affirm one another and celebrate our commonality as well as our diversity. Our challenge as teachers is to meet the academic needs of a diverse student body. We must get to know our students through conversations, writing assignments and assessments and then differentiate our instruction to meet each individual student's needs. Cultural differences give us opportunities to explore different cultures and learn from them.
To me, diversity means different. Something that is diverse is different from others. That is the great thing about being diverse, its not wrong, its just different. There is so much diversity within our communities and schools. Diversity is not solely based on race, religion, or sex. But in today's society, diversity can mean SES or family structure. All of this information will be taken into account before I could accurately and effeciently teach a lesson. I must consider that all of these students are different and learn in different ways. Each student comes from a different background and has different experiences. Therefore when preparing a lesson, a teacher must consider all of this.
Define diversity. Then explain how your definition will shape your instruction in the future. Diversity is not only race, ethnicity, disability, education, age, religious beliefs and gender, but also a multitude of behavior and perspectives from different social classes, lifestyles, etc. It is also the awareness of others unique characteristics that promotes individuality. The definition I have provided identifies the many different varieties that make a person diverse. Diversity is not subjective; therefore, teaching must represent a different approach throughout each lesson. Teaching must encompass an outlook that children can learn no matter what different abilities they have. My teaching will provide differentiated instruction to each student, not matter what the disability is. I will look beyond the child’s disability and focus on their abilities. If a child is unable to see, he/she will learn alternative modes of communication and be able to function in our classroom. If a child is unable to hear, the class will attempt to learn sign language or another way of conversing amongst one another.
To me, diversity means differences. Every student will be different, whether it be SES, race, gender, family, or personality. Understanding that each student is different is key to being a successful teacher. No two students will learn the same way or have access to the same materials. Therefore, to be a good teacher, you have to be able to accommodate the needs of each individal student so that they all have equal access to the curriculum.
Diversity to me consists of so many different things not just race, gender, religion, but just being unique. Diversity in the classroom can range in level of ability of different students to background of the students. Everyone is different that's what makes up our society and helps make the world a unique, challenging, and different place.
Diversity is something that makes us unique or different. Within a classroom, there are so many different things that can make it diverse. It is more than just race, gender, and age. For example, students learn many different ways and their different learning styles make each student diverse. Diversity can also be a student's level of ability. Each student's level is going to be different which makes them diverse. It may take a teacher a short time to recognize each student's diverse abilities and needs. Also, a student's diversity may change over time and instruction should also be changed to fit their needs.
Webster's Dictionary defines diversity as difference or variety. I define diversity in my classroom as the cultural, academic and gender differences in my students. My instruction of these students is based on these differences. Culturally, I have a mix of Japanese, Spanish, Asian, African-American, and Caucasian students in my classroom. We use this wonderful mix of students to learn about and develop an appreciation for their cultures. When planning lessons, I look at the individual academic needs of my students to make sure they are being presented every opportunity to succeed in the classroom. In addition, I consider the gender of my students when choosing books for my library or topics to dicuss in the classroom.
Diversity represents the unique characteristics that all humans possess. Those characteristics range from differences in ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic status, physical abilities, academic abilities, culture, attitudes, and beliefs among other things. All student who come into a classroom are diverse. Chapter 14, which focuses on literacy instruction for diverse populations, outlines some good strategies for supporting cultural diversity in the classroom. Those strategies include being responsive to cultural and individual diversity, creating an open, accepting classroom environment to ensure all students from all backgrounds feel comfortable in class, including books and stories in the curriculum to enhance understanding of other cultures, teaching about sensitivity and acceptance issues, and sharing personal experiences about cultural issues. Those strategies can help serve as a guide for shaping instruction in a classroom for a diverse group of students.
Diversity in the classroom is the uniqueness each student brings into the community based on different schemata resulting from culture, language, socio-economic status, race, age, gender, and ability.
In the U.S. educational system, students are mainstreamed, and then again separated in schools adhering to the tracking system, which is often the driving force of keeping so called “non-traditional” or “minority” students in the lower performing stratum.
My current instruction (grammar course for education majors; NCATE-relevant and explicitly focusing on diversity in its objectives) incorporates lesson plans supported by video and audio files about “diverse” student populations, such as children with Down Syndrome, Tourette, autism; as well as dyslexics, ESL learners (with focus on Asians), Ebonics speakers, dialect speakers, and twins (yes, according to certain research, twins have language acquisition problems as opposed to singletons!), etc., and their language skills and problems, in order to prepare prospective English teachers for a wide range of students.
I must admit that mainstreaming was a completely unheard of concept for me, since in Germany students are rigorously separated according to ability (both physical and mental); here an (imperfect) overview of our educational system for those who are interested:
In Germany, “Sonderschule” (special education school) is for children with physical and mental disabilities. There are specialized schools for the blind and the deaf. “Grundschule” (= elementary school) are grades 1-4 which are common for every child without disabilities. If a child does not do well, it goes to “Hauptschule” from there on (a school for low-performing children, corresponding to third track in US high schools). Upon graduating from Hauptschule, students can learn a low-paying job, like florist, hair stylist, carpentry, bus driver, etc. If the child did better in Grundschule, it is placed in “Realschule” (corresponding to US mid track), and finishes either at age 15 (10th grade) for a lower-paying job, or at age 19-20 with Realschulabschluss (baccalaureate of this school). With that, the young adult can go on to higher education such as “Fachhochschule” (a form of college where you can become an elementary teacher, for example), but nobody from Realschule can go to university and study for what we called “diploma,” before it was renamed into “M.A.” There is a chance for Realschule students to shift over to a Gymnasium in 11th grade when they did really well. Those kids are called “Quereinsteiger” (transfer students, coming in a different way).
If a student was very good in Grundschule, he/she will go to a “Gymnasium” (corresponding to U.S. top track and honor students). There are different kinds of Gymnasiums; some are based on Roman and Greek languages (I went to one of them; it means you study English in 5th grade, Latin in 7th, and your next two foreign languages in 9th and 11th grade). Latin and English/or French are mandatory for all students at Gymnasium level. From there, the student can leave in 10th grade with “Mittlere Reife” (“medium maturity”; to work in simple jobs), or in 12th grade with the “Fachabitur,” which is “half a baccalaureate” and admits one to a Fachhochschule (the college for professions such as elementary teacher). If a student finishes 13th grade of Gymnasium in West Germany (in East Germany, there were only 12 grades!), he/she has the “Abitur” (baccalaureate) and can apply to university. For many subjects, there exists the “Numerus Clausus,” which means in order to be allowed to enter university, you need to have a 4.0 grade average to study medicine, and in order to study English you also need a NC of at least 3.7 or thereabouts. This means that you won’t have courses such as English 101 or 102 in a German university, because university students are expected to be perfect writers. There are no Writing Centers, either.
Our educational system is product-oriented, not process-oriented, so there are no rewrites (at least not during my time). There aren’t any multiple-choice tests in elementary school and Gymnasium, either. ELL students in a Gymnasium do not have ELL classes; they are simply immersed and either make it, or not. We have very many Turkish, Russian, Yugoslavian, and Polish immigrant children (whose parents we euphemistically call “Gastarbeiter” = guest workers, because they mainly work in our coal mines, but they are not always treated as guests). Those students would need more accommodations than I’ve ever witnessed them receiving. Many simply fall through the “social sieve.” I have never seen a Black student before I came to the U.S., so we don’t have the Ebonics-Standard English code-switching problem, but we do have the Eastern Europeans (whose ancestors often were German and lost their homes and possessions during the wars). They have a political right to return to and live in Germany – but their families often do not speak German any more.
I don’t know which system is better, but the U.S. system gives more students a chance. I just felt inadequately prepared with only ONE special ed course in the M.A.T. program to teach high school low track classes, expecting a performance level of a “Gymnasium.” Teacher education should focus much more on diversity in the classroom; otherwise, it ends in a bad surprise for the young teacher, and it doesn’t help the students, either.
I like the word diverse, but I dislike the word different. I prefer unique. Teaching ABOUT diversity means teaching students to look for and admire the unique qualities of other people. Teaching WITH diversity means that you take these qualities into consideration when you are teaching. Students come from unique backgrounds (both immediate and cultural) they are physically unique and of course, they learn differently. In my opinion, this is the most important attribute a teacher could have: recognizing which student learn best in what way...and do it!!
Diversity means a difference. As a teacher you will encounter many different types of diversity. There will be a diversity in learning and teaching styles. There is diversity among your students and their beliefs and backgrounds. I will look at each child as an individual and their own diversity as far as background and academics. As a teacher you have to know each child is an individual and you must respect their diversity and not form biases.
diversity to me is the unique qualities that each individual contributes to society.It could be based on cultural beliefs that make families and individuals who they are.It is important as a teacher to make each individual student feel like they are a contributor in the classroom and that their differences or beliefs are an asset to the educational environment.Teachers must make all students comfortable in sharing what is important to them.We must let stuents know it is ok to be different.
15 comments:
Diversity of something is the reality that it includes several vastly diverse elements. In a classroom this would mean a classroom of students with a variety of ability levels. Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction is one instrument I will be implementing in my classroom. I am presently doing a form of this program by providing students with leveled reading, word working, and writing activities at their level. I am limited on staff to help in my classroom but our teachers and principal are investigating the Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction program. We are scheduled to visit classrooms (in the next couple of weeks) who are using similar instruction. Our goal is to begin implementing it in all eight of our first grade classrooms at our primary center. Getting this program in our curriculum will assist in meeting the RtI initiative. Funding and planning are the beginning. This is probably the hardest part but hopefully the Differentiated Small Group Reading Instruction will be in full force at North Side Primary Center in the near future.
Diversity of one thing is the unique attributes which make it stand out and differ from another thing. With teaching, diversity includes the unique attributes of each individual in the classroom, as well as how these attributes affect said individual's learning. Diversity in the classroom also encompasses the needs and background of each individual, as well as the combined, and sometimes competing, needs of all students in the classroom.
When I consider the diverse students in my classes, I first have to possess an awareness of what makes them stand out, what needs they have. I cannot meet my students' diverse needs until I know what they are. To this end, diversity affects my instruction in that I try to get to know my students and then consider how their personality, age, gender, race, religion, socioeconomic status, hobbies, preferences, and learning needs affect their interactions in my classroom.
Once I understand their diverse needs, and this of course is an ongoing task, I seek to address and meet them. This may mean that I differentiate instrution, that I offer extra time for certain students, or that I work individually with students on certain assignments. It also means that I take their background and resources into account when I create assignments. For instance, when I assign an essay, I always try to provide plenty of time in the computer lab given the awareness that many of my students do not have access to computers at home. Another example of designing assignments is that I try to offer choices of writing assignments to allow my students to choose the assignment that is most appealing to them.
Addressing diversity happens everyday in the classroom, in both the little and big ways I interact with my students. However, without an awareness and a respect for diversity, I would get nowhere with my students.
According to Webster's Dictionary, diversity means difference and vary. Diversity in the classroom means many different things. It means diversity in the kinds of learners, diversity in the racial/ethnic backgrounds of the students, and diversity in the way I teach. Because every student learns a different way, I must diversify the way I teach. I will use different teaching methods to reach the different kinds of learners in my room. I will diversify the reading material and subject topics I cover in class and in reading instruction. It is important for me as a future teacher to fully understand how important diversity is to my students and my classroom.
Diversity simply means difference. There are many diversities in the school environment. Diversity in our students can be found in gender, learning styles, academic ability and socioeconomic, family, academic, and cultural backgrounds. Diversity is also apparent in our teaching staff. Our goal is to affirm one another and celebrate our commonality as well as our diversity. Our challenge as teachers is to meet the academic needs of a diverse student body. We must get to know our students through conversations, writing assignments and assessments and then differentiate our instruction to meet each individual student's needs. Cultural differences give us opportunities to explore different cultures and learn from them.
To me, diversity means different. Something that is diverse is different from others. That is the great thing about being diverse, its not wrong, its just different. There is so much diversity within our communities and schools. Diversity is not solely based on race, religion, or sex. But in today's society, diversity can mean SES or family structure. All of this information will be taken into account before I could accurately and effeciently teach a lesson. I must consider that all of these students are different and learn in different ways. Each student comes from a different background and has different experiences. Therefore when preparing a lesson, a teacher must consider all of this.
Define diversity. Then explain how your definition will shape your instruction in the future.
Diversity is not only race, ethnicity, disability, education, age, religious beliefs and gender, but also a multitude of behavior and perspectives from different social classes, lifestyles, etc. It is also the awareness of others unique characteristics that promotes individuality.
The definition I have provided identifies the many different varieties that make a person diverse. Diversity is not subjective; therefore, teaching must represent a different approach throughout each lesson. Teaching must encompass an outlook that children can learn no matter what different abilities they have. My teaching will provide differentiated instruction to each student, not matter what the disability is. I will look beyond the child’s disability and focus on their abilities. If a child is unable to see, he/she will learn alternative modes of communication and be able to function in our classroom. If a child is unable to hear, the class will attempt to learn sign language or another way of conversing amongst one another.
To me, diversity means differences. Every student will be different, whether it be SES, race, gender, family, or personality. Understanding that each student is different is key to being a successful teacher. No two students will learn the same way or have access to the same materials. Therefore, to be a good teacher, you have to be able to accommodate the needs of each individal student so that they all have equal access to the curriculum.
Diversity to me consists of so many different things not just race, gender, religion, but just being unique. Diversity in the classroom can range in level of ability of different students to background of the students. Everyone is different that's what makes up our society and helps make the world a unique, challenging, and different place.
Diversity is something that makes us unique or different. Within a classroom, there are so many different things that can make it diverse. It is more than just race, gender, and age. For example, students learn many different ways and their different learning styles make each student diverse. Diversity can also be a student's level of ability. Each student's level is going to be different which makes them diverse. It may take a teacher a short time to recognize each student's diverse abilities and needs. Also, a student's diversity may change over time and instruction should also be changed to fit their needs.
Webster's Dictionary defines diversity as difference or variety. I define diversity in my classroom as the cultural, academic and gender differences in my students. My instruction of these students is based on these differences. Culturally, I have a mix of Japanese, Spanish, Asian, African-American, and Caucasian students in my classroom. We use this wonderful mix of students to learn about and develop an appreciation for their cultures. When planning lessons, I look at the individual academic needs of my students to make sure they are being presented every opportunity to succeed in the classroom. In addition, I consider the gender of my students when choosing books for my library or topics to dicuss in the classroom.
Diversity represents the unique characteristics that all humans possess. Those characteristics range from differences in ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic status, physical abilities, academic abilities, culture, attitudes, and beliefs among other things. All student who come into a classroom are diverse. Chapter 14, which focuses on literacy instruction for diverse populations, outlines some good strategies for supporting cultural diversity in the classroom. Those strategies include being responsive to cultural and individual diversity, creating an open, accepting classroom environment to ensure all students from all backgrounds feel comfortable in class, including books and stories in the curriculum to enhance understanding of other cultures, teaching about sensitivity and acceptance issues, and sharing personal experiences about cultural issues. Those strategies can help serve as a guide for shaping instruction in a classroom for a diverse group of students.
Diversity in the classroom is the uniqueness each student brings into the community based on different schemata resulting from culture, language, socio-economic status, race, age, gender, and ability.
In the U.S. educational system, students are mainstreamed, and then again separated in schools adhering to the tracking system, which is often the driving force of keeping so called “non-traditional” or “minority” students in the lower performing stratum.
My current instruction (grammar course for education majors; NCATE-relevant and explicitly focusing on diversity in its objectives) incorporates lesson plans supported by video and audio files about “diverse” student populations, such as children with Down Syndrome, Tourette, autism; as well as dyslexics, ESL learners (with focus on Asians), Ebonics speakers, dialect speakers, and twins (yes, according to certain research, twins have language acquisition problems as opposed to singletons!), etc., and their language skills and problems, in order to prepare prospective English teachers for a wide range of students.
I must admit that mainstreaming was a completely unheard of concept for me, since in Germany students are rigorously separated according to ability (both physical and mental); here an (imperfect) overview of our educational system for those who are interested:
In Germany, “Sonderschule” (special education school) is for children with physical and mental disabilities. There are specialized schools for the blind and the deaf. “Grundschule” (= elementary school) are grades 1-4 which are common for every child without disabilities. If a child does not do well, it goes to “Hauptschule” from there on (a school for low-performing children, corresponding to third track in US high schools). Upon graduating from Hauptschule, students can learn a low-paying job, like florist, hair stylist, carpentry, bus driver, etc. If the child did better in Grundschule, it is placed in “Realschule” (corresponding to US mid track), and finishes either at age 15 (10th grade) for a lower-paying job, or at age 19-20 with Realschulabschluss (baccalaureate of this school). With that, the young adult can go on to higher education such as “Fachhochschule” (a form of college where you can become an elementary teacher, for example), but nobody from Realschule can go to university and study for what we called “diploma,” before it was renamed into “M.A.” There is a chance for Realschule students to shift over to a Gymnasium in 11th grade when they did really well. Those kids are called “Quereinsteiger” (transfer students, coming in a different way).
If a student was very good in Grundschule, he/she will go to a “Gymnasium” (corresponding to U.S. top track and honor students). There are different kinds of Gymnasiums; some are based on Roman and Greek languages (I went to one of them; it means you study English in 5th grade, Latin in 7th, and your next two foreign languages in 9th and 11th grade). Latin and English/or French are mandatory for all students at Gymnasium level. From there, the student can leave in 10th grade with “Mittlere Reife” (“medium maturity”; to work in simple jobs), or in 12th grade with the “Fachabitur,” which is “half a baccalaureate” and admits one to a Fachhochschule (the college for professions such as elementary teacher). If a student finishes 13th grade of Gymnasium in West Germany (in East Germany, there were only 12 grades!), he/she has the “Abitur” (baccalaureate) and can apply to university. For many subjects, there exists the “Numerus Clausus,” which means in order to be allowed to enter university, you need to have a 4.0 grade average to study medicine, and in order to study English you also need a NC of at least 3.7 or thereabouts. This means that you won’t have courses such as English 101 or 102 in a German university, because university students are expected to be perfect writers. There are no Writing Centers, either.
Our educational system is product-oriented, not process-oriented, so there are no rewrites (at least not during my time). There aren’t any multiple-choice tests in elementary school and Gymnasium, either. ELL students in a Gymnasium do not have ELL classes; they are simply immersed and either make it, or not. We have very many Turkish, Russian, Yugoslavian, and Polish immigrant children (whose parents we euphemistically call “Gastarbeiter” = guest workers, because they mainly work in our coal mines, but they are not always treated as guests). Those students would need more accommodations than I’ve ever witnessed them receiving. Many simply fall through the “social sieve.” I have never seen a Black student before I came to the U.S., so we don’t have the Ebonics-Standard English code-switching problem, but we do have the Eastern Europeans (whose ancestors often were German and lost their homes and possessions during the wars). They have a political right to return to and live in Germany – but their families often do not speak German any more.
I don’t know which system is better, but the U.S. system gives more students a chance. I just felt inadequately prepared with only ONE special ed course in the M.A.T. program to teach high school low track classes, expecting a performance level of a “Gymnasium.” Teacher education should focus much more on diversity in the classroom; otherwise, it ends in a bad surprise for the young teacher, and it doesn’t help the students, either.
I like the word diverse, but I dislike the word different. I prefer unique. Teaching ABOUT diversity means teaching students to look for and admire the unique qualities of other people. Teaching WITH diversity means that you take these qualities into consideration when you are teaching. Students come from unique backgrounds (both immediate and cultural) they are physically unique and of course, they learn differently. In my opinion, this is the most important attribute a teacher could have: recognizing which student learn best in what way...and do it!!
Diversity means a difference. As a teacher you will encounter many different types of diversity. There will be a diversity in learning and teaching styles. There is diversity among your students and their beliefs and backgrounds. I will look at each child as an individual and their own diversity as far as background and academics. As a teacher you have to know each child is an individual and you must respect their diversity and not form biases.
diversity to me is the unique qualities that each individual contributes to society.It could be based on cultural beliefs that make families and individuals who they are.It is important as a teacher to make each individual student feel like they are a contributor in the classroom and that their differences or beliefs are an asset to the educational environment.Teachers must make all students comfortable in sharing what is important to them.We must let stuents know it is ok to be different.
Post a Comment